A Naturopathic Consultation is holistic and assesses the physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual aspects of a person. For example from a Western Medical Perspective you may be medically diagnosed with hypothyroidism however, from a Naturopathic Medical Perspective your diagnosis might be;
- Decreased Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) due to "Functional Hypothyroid"
- Poor breakdown of fats and increased visceral adiposity due to a "Sluggish Liver".
- Excess cravings for carbohydrates due to “Insulin Resistance” and "Functional Hypoglycemia"
- Long term stress leading to "Adrenal Exhaustion", cortisol spikes and resultant weight gain
- Long term stress leading to “Nervous System Exhaustion” and emotional eating
- Nutritional deficiencies of Iodine, EFAs, selenium
- Excess Bioaccumulation of endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) such as fluoride, aluminium and BPA leading to a disruption of thyroid hormone production.
Naturopathic Treatment Principles
- Tonify the thyroid to boost BMR
- Improve insulin sensitivity
- Balance blood sugar
- Tonify the adrenal gland
- Nourish the nervous system
- Replace nutritional deficiencies
- Treatment in the terms of dietary, lifestyle, supplement and herbal medicine recommendations are then derived from these treatment principles.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
As an Acupuncturist, I will also diagnose your Pattern of Disharmony according to Traditional Chinese Medicine. In obesity, it may be for example Cold Damp accumulation due to Spleen Qi and Yang Deficiency. I will prescribe Acupuncture, Chinese Herbal Medicine and Chinese Dietary Therapy to treat your Pattern of Disharmony. Rather than prescribing Chinese Herbal Patent Formulas, I specialise in preparing Traditional Chinese Herbal Formulations in organic 1:1 high practitioner strength extract form
Once I have confirmed a Naturopathic Diagnosis, I will then explain the Naturopathic Causes of your condition from a Naturopathic Perspective so that you will be motivated to remove these causes to the best of your ability and have a better chance for cure, depending also, on the strength of your Vital Force. As the "Stress-Less Naturopath" I tailor a Health Management Solution to suit your lifestyle.
I am trained in pharmacology, herbal and supplement contraindications and drug/nutrient, drug/herb interactions. I can prescribe safely if you are pregnant and breastfeeding or on medication. As a Herbalist and Nutritionist I specialise in matching the pharmacological actions of drugs with natural alternatives using compounds found in food and herbs. I will always give dietary advice and assess your diet for nutritional deficiencies.
As a classical homeopath I may also prescribe what are described as your constitutional remedy, an acute lesional remedy or drainage remedy.
What to expect during a Naturopathic consultation?
At either a consult in person or an online consultation I will
Discuss your presenting symptoms
- Discuss any medications that you take to ensure that there are no drug/nutrient or drug/herb contraindications with proposed or current treatment
- Discuss your past health history
- Discuss your family history
- Ask you questions about relevant body systems to gain a better understanding of your condition
- Perform nail analysis and tongue and pulse diagnosis to asses for mineral deficiencies (For online consult you will need to email photo of tongue)
- Perform Iridology (for online consult you will need to attach photo of left and right iris)
- Take your blood pressure
- May recommend blood or other tests
- Explain the Naturopathic Causes of your health issues from a Naturopathic Medical Perspective
- Provide a diagnosis from a Chinese Medical Perspective
- Prescribe treatment in the terms of diet, (including Chinese dietary therapy), lifestyle, herbal medicine, homeopathy and supplements in the form of an email prescription.
- Provide ongoing support through www.carahealth.com Online Naturopathic Health Resource and Consultant Services.
- Face-to-face consultation includes acupuncture according to your Pattern of Disharmony.