Jeremy Franco Carahealth Director
Having arrived in Galway Ireland back in 2006 Jeremy was rightly concerned for his family's health in relation to the many drinking water issues surrounding Galway water. Crytosporidium, slurry causing the excess use of Chlorine and resultant cancer causing Trihalomethanes, neurotoxic lead contamination ect. This really only scratches the surface. So Jeremy had a brain wave to introduce a gravity fed water filtration system to Ireland that was common use in Australia. Fluoride became a sticking point. Knowing that fluoride or more appropriately the hydrofluosilicic acid in Irish water is neurotoxic and is derived from a by-product of organophosphate fertiliser manufacture in Spain and shipped into Ireland by Chemifloc, when Jeremy realised that standard filters do not remove fluoride, he knew he had to design a system that removed fluoride. Jeremy had to come up with a fluoride removal system and the Carahealth Gravity Fed Water Filtration system was born.
Originally Jeremy recommended a system requiring a vegetable char filter in the top housing combined with an activated alumina system in the bottom. More recently Jeremy discovered and introduced a new product called Bone char. We are proud to offer a bone char system that removes 99% Bacteria & Amoebas: Cryptosporidium, E –Coli, Giardia, etc., Chemicals: Chlorine, Ammonia, Lindane, etc. Heavy metals & suspended solids: Lead, Copper, Mercury, Cadmium, etc. And Fluoride removal, uses animal bone charcoal (the high content of calcium in animal bone charcoal naturally displaces the fluoride) - for vegetarian/vegan alternative see Organic Fluoride Reduction Gravity Water Filter Unit (contains no animal products)
* Chemifloc was first awarded the hydrofluosilicic acid contract in 1991. The firm has the contract to deliver the hydrofluosilicic acid from a source in Spain. Between 2009 and 2013, the Irish State spent €9.7m on supplying the hydrofluosilicic acid. The firm was established over 30 years ago by Hilary Lawless and his colleagues and at the end of last December it had accumulated profits of €12.83m.
As a chef by trade Jeremy interests included naturopathic cooking ie cooking whereby oils are not smoked to avoid the release of cancer causing chemicals, using oils with a high flash point are used, cooking to retain the maximum nutrients in foods, making bone broths so all the nutrients from the bones are in the soup.
Having extensively travelled Jeremy can make anything from Paella to Jambalaya to Malaysian curry laksa to Chinese duck soup to Japanese Kintame miso soup. His roots take him back to cooking good old fashioned English Pub grub a la flair; our favourites are liver and bacon casserole, stuffed lamb hearts and traditional roast with all the trimmings and homemade gravy using carrageen seaweed as a thickening agent. Us meat eaters eat vegetables to! As such Jeremy regularly whips up a number of vegan food including Miso soup, Tofu and tempeh stir fires, tapenades and pestos, spanikopita, and dahls. More recently Jeremy and Carina have perfect the vegetable based keto diet. Watch this space.
Carina Harkin BHSc.Acu.BHSc.Nat.BHSc.Hom. Cert IV TAE. ARCHTI Mem.
Carina is Carahealth’s naturopathic consultant. Carina completed three 4 year full-time degrees in natural medicine in Australia, which is at the forefront of natural medicine training. Carina’s three modalities of complementary medicines are supported by evidence based trials and are covered by the UK’s NHS and considered to be introduced under Australia’s Medicare. Carina is a Member of Association of Registered Complementary Health Therapists of Ireland ARCHTI and has Medical Malpractice including Public and Products Liability through Balens
Always check your practitioner’s qualifications, insurances and experience
Having this range of skills, Carina is better able to empower her clients by helping them understand the causes of their disease. As a triple degree qualified practitioner you will be in safe hands. Carina is insistent that she represent her industry with the utmost professionalism. Carina does not make spurious claims or unqualified diagnoses. Unlike many Complementary and Alternative therapists as an Australian trained naturopath, Carina has received comprehensive training in clinical medicine and pharmacology and can prescribe safely if you are on medications.
Carina offers both in-person and Skype consultations combining Naturopathy, Acupuncture and Classical Homeopathy, whereby she tailors treatment protocols to suit the individual needs of the client. Carina will offer her naturopathic diagnosis and treatment in terms of diet, lifestyle, supplement and herbal medicine advice. Carina aims to achieve a total health management solution and then educate her clients so they may maintain their own health.
Carina believes compassionately in preventative medicine and uses this in my approach to treatment. Carina constantly seek new advances in medicine and thrives on international challenges, as health issues are different from culture to culture. Carina specialises in matching the pharmacological action of drugs with natural alternative compounds found in foods, herbs and supplements. Carina’s ultimate goal is to see the integration of CAM into mainstream healthcare.
- Carina was the first non-medical practitioner invited to speak at Ireland's largest Multidisciplinary Diabetes Study Day held in Dublin to talk on natural medicine options in the management of diabetes focusing on naturopathic causes of diabetes and treatment in the way of diet, lifestyle, supplements and herbal medicine.
- Carina was Australia’s first non-medical acupuncturist employed within the public hospital system, assisting with the design and implementation of the world’s first randomised, controlled, blinded trial using acupuncture within an Emergency Department to reduce pain and waiting times. The results proved acupuncture was as effective as orthodox treatment, however patient satisfaction was 81% compared to 56%. The trail was so successful it paved the way for RMIT’s present student clinic at the Northern Hospital and the roll-out of student clinics in the ED across Melbourne.
- Carina was Director of Studies and lecturer at CNM for 5 years
- Awarded for most outstanding academic achievement in homeopathy and received a prize from Martin and Pleasance to the value of $1500.
- Awarded for excellence in studies at the Melbourne College of Natural Medicine in recognition of being the first and only triple degree graduate and received a prize from the Australian Traditional Medicine society (ATMS) being free membership for one year in my three modalities.
- Published author: Oct 2007. Achieved excellent results in a trial using acupuncture in an emergency department. Results published in edition 85 of The Journal Of Chinese Medicine“A Prospective Randomised Trial Of Acupuncture For Select Common Conditions Within The Emergency Department”.
- Published author: January 2008. Achieved excellent results in a yearlong homeopathic study on bone density in post-menopausal women using bone ultrasonography as a measure. Results published in Homeopathic Links, “Effect of Homeopathic Calcium on Bone Density”.
- Naturopathic Consultant Carahealth with 19 years clinical experience
- Carina discussed topical health issues on Port Douglas Radio
- Carina worked as an Acupuncturist and Sports Nutritionist for the Crocs (Australian Football League) in Port Douglas
- Carina has developed and taught to community groups a number of short courses including;
- Introduction to Herbal Medicine, First Aid Homeopathy including Tropical Disease, Natural Medicine, First Aid, Weight Loss, Natural Alternatives to Tamoxifen for Breast Cancer and Chinese Dietary Therapy
- Carina was Director of Studies, Lecturer, Practitioner and Health Columnist CNM Galway for 5 years.
- Carina was a Health Columnist for North Central Review in Victoria Australia
Carina has worked as an acupuncturist in the following hospitals;
Northern Hospital Melbourne
Wellington House Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Centre Box Hill Hospital, Melbourne
Carina has been to China 3 times whereby she continues her training in Chinese hospitals
Minzu Hospital Nanning China ; Treating many children with ADD, epilepsy and autism (these conditions are on the rise). Working using head acupuncture with the famous Chinese doctor, Dr Zhu.
Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital # 1 Nanning
Carina worked in the outpatient department treating patients with ailments such as Bell’s Palsy, Parkinson’s disease, myasthaenia gravis, frozen shoulder etc.
Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital # 2 Nanning
Working as a doctor in the in-patient department of the Neurological, Orthopoedic and Ear Nose and Throat wards Carina was able to observe and treat patients who suffered paralysis after stroke, motor vehicle accidents and meningitis, post-operative urinary bladder incontinence and serious vertigo, witnessing miracles daily.
Carina worked for years as Melbourne City Fullife Pharmacy, Health and Beauty Day Spa as an in-store naturopath offering consultations and assisting the pharmacist to safely advise people about drug/nutrient and drug/herb safety
Playing Irish fiddle, Seanos singing, dancing of any sort and natural medicine of course. Carina and Jeremy have 7 children. There is not a childhood disease Carina has not seen and treated. Carina is passionate about clean air, clean water and conservation.
Carahealth believe in the fundamental importance of clean water and clean air to health. Carahealth insists on prescribing (where humanly possible) organic herbs. Carina is first and foremost an environmentalist and activist. An extension of this is a belief that western medical drugs are toxic by nature. Whilst there are a plethora of environmental toxins we cannot avoid we can certainly make active lifestyle choices to avoid toxins that we can. We are constantly told these things are safe for us in small amounts. Toxins can and do have a cumulative effect. If all these neurotoxins in small amounts are so safe why are we sicker than ever?
From a naturopathic perspective the causative factors to the rise in autoimmune disease allergic disease and cancer and multifactorial but we can address what we can. Carahealth believe that Complementary Medicine is a real alternative to treating acute viral, bacterial and fungal infections. Western Medicine has little to offer in the treatment of Chronic disease and in fact, with its suppressive and toxic treatments, many diseases in society are a direct result of Western Medical Treatment.
The Age of Antibiotic resistance
Antibiotic Resistance Will Kill 300 Million People by 2050!. Carina firmly believes in this current age of antibiotic/antimicrobial resistance, herbal medicine is the future for humanity. The pharmaceutical Giant no longer holds the answers and in fact have caused the problems. According to WHO there are 12 families of bacteria posing the greatest threat to human health even known. Bacteria including Staphylococcus aureus, methicillin-resistant (MRSA), Multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB), Multi-drug resistant STDs including Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia. There is antibiotic resistant Helicobacter pylori, Campylobacter, Streptococcus, pneumonia resistance, Haemophilus influenza ect. even antibiotic resistant latent Lyme borreliosis.
WHO is demanding research and development of new antibiotics. There will unlikely be new antibiotics. And if there were developed by the time they were released, resistance will have already likely developed so there is no money in it for the pharmaceutical industry, hence no incentive.
Western Medicine has failed
- It is perfectly acceptable to say people are over using antibacterials in their home.
- It is also perfectly acceptable to say Doctors have overprescribed and antibiotics. This is still OK and widely accepted.
- It is also completely acceptable to say people have overused antipyretics (these suppress fever) Doctors acknowledge Fever Phobia with many parents unaware that fever is a perfectly healthy response to infection.
- But once someone says vaccines are overused and abused then that person is vilified, deemed a danger to society and should be locked up and their children taken off them. One day the knowledge of overuse and abuse of western medicines will grow to include vaccines. A healthy and rationale debate does not vilify the person with the opposite opinion. The debate needs to be had. Read also Natural Parenting Why I Don’t vaccinate
- Why is it that measles and whooping cough outbreaks are making the front pages as a global threat? Why aren’t we hearing the truth? That is, that the Western Medicine experiment to stop us getting sick has resulted in people being sicker than ever, with more people reliant on drugs than any generation previously. (70% of advertising funding for our main news channels is derived from pharmaceutical sales)
The real health issues that are genuine causes for fear mongering
- More than a quarter of children are taking a prescription drug for a chronic ailment on a regular basis. Our children are meant to be healthy!
- Antibiotic Resistance Will Kill 300 Million People by 2050 according to WHO
- Autoimmune disease, inflammatory disease, allergic disease and cancer are all on the rise. By Western Medical standards these require lifelong medication.
- The incidence of Diabetes type 1 and Diabetes Type II is doubling every 30 years.
- Incidence of Asthma has tripled since the 1980s with approximately 250,000 people dying per year from the disease.
- Anaphylaxis has increased 5-7-fold in the last 10-15 years alone. Peanuts never used to kill children (unless they choked on them)
- Sepsis (drug resistant) accounts for 44,000 deaths annually in the UK alone, that's more than breast cancer!
- Cancer incidence is currently 1 in 2! And it’s no longer primarily a disease of aging. The number of children diagnosed with cancer has risen 40 per cent in the past 16 years alone. Diagnoses of colon cancer among children and young people have risen 200 per cent since 1998, while thyroid cancer has doubled. Ovarian and cervical cancer diagnoses have also risen by 70 per cent and 50 per cent respectively.
Carina wants to explain how you can take back control of your own health. Book an appointment.