Qualified in acupuncture, naturopathy and homeopathy, I specialise in detoxification, diet, weight loss, performance boost, fertility, pregnancy, parenting and healthy ageing
I hold 3 internationally recognised transferable level 8 (EQF/AQF/NFQ/Level 6 Ofqual recognised by NARIC) honours science degrees in Complementary & Alternative Medicine (CAM); a degree in Acupuncture, Naturopathy (Herbal Medicine/Nutrition) and Homeopathy, having trained in Australia which was at the forefront of natural medicine training. I have been in private practice for 20 years offering treatments in 3 modalities & tailoring treatment protocols to suit individual needs. Being trained in pharmacology & having worked in pharmacies, I am adept in drug/nutrient & drug/herb safety whereby I practice pharmacognosy, matching the pharmacological action of drugs with natural alternative compounds. I prescribes organic food grade herbal extracts to treat antimicrobial resistant diseases, MRSA, MDR-TB, MDR Staph. aureus, K. pneumonia, E. coli, Haemophilus influenza, MDR Candida and neglected tropical diseases including Dengue, Ross River/ Barmah Forest virus Lyme borreliosis ect, and the rising tide of non communicable disease (NCD) including autoimmune, allergic and inflammatory disease. I have worked in Public Health as acupuncturist at the Northern Hospital Emergency Department (A&E) Epping, Melbourne & Box Hill Hospital, Melbourne’s Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Unit. My ultimate goal is to see the integration of CAM into mainstream healthcare hence I am completing a Masters in Public Health. The WHO is looking at the role Traditional Medicines have in keeping populations healthy and I want to play my part in shaping future Public Health Policy to improve Global Health outcomes using Traditional Medicines. UI am writing my dissertation on The Use of Herbal Medicine to Treat the Greatest Global Threat; Antimicrobial Resistance.
My other interests include environmental health concerns in the air and water that lead to bioaccumulation of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) also called Persistent Toxic Substances (PTS), particularly heavy metals and plastics (both ingested BPA/phthalates and inhaled dioxins/furans), and enhancing biotransformation using herbal medicine. Detoxification contrary to medical opinion is not quackery. In medical terms excess toxins are called bioaccumulation of xenobiotics and detoxification is called biotransformation. Biotransformation is the process of supporting Phase and Phase II liver detoxification process, which is actually misnomer as these processes can also occur in kidney, intestine, lung, skin, prostate, & brain. Biotransformation can and is assisted using the information that science provides though therapeutic fasting, nutritional supplementation and herbal medicine.
I have worked as an acupuncturist and sports nutritionist/ herbalist for an Australian Rules Football team where she recommended natural ergogenic aids to boost performance in professional athletes as recommended by the Australian Institute of Sport and used acupuncture to promote recovery and enhance performance. As a naturopath, I have also raised a family naturally, without the use of western medication and is an advocate for an active healthy lifestyle.There is not a childhood disease she has not seen nor cannot treat.
Carina Harkin BHSc.Nat.BHSc.Hom. BHSc.Acu.Cert.IV.TAE. MPH (pending). AFPA mem
Publications click to view pdf
- Carina Harkin and Dr Robyn Parker, A Prospective, Randomised Control Trial of Acupuncture for Select Common Conditions within the Emergency Department, Journal of Chinese Medicine, Number 85, pp 45-52., October 2007
- Carina Harkin, Effect of Homeopathic Calcium on Bone Density, Homoeopathic Links, Vol. 21: 1–6 6. Spring 2008.
- Carina Harkin, Auricular Acupuncture for Work Related Illness; Musculoskeletal Disorders and Stress Anxiety and Depression, Acta Scientific Medical Sciences 4.1 (2020): 153-158.
- Carina Harkin, Drinking Water and Public Health Risk, Med Clin Res, 4 (1) 2019
Conferences: Presenter/ Moderator/ Chair EurSciCon, Conference Series and Allied Academies
• Health Risks of Heavy Metals (WHO report summary) and Enhancing Biotransformation using Metal-Binding Plant Lignans; Metallothioneins and Phytochelatins found in Chinese Herbs.
• The Mechanisms of Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) & How Herbal Medicine can Address Each Resistance Mechanism to Reduce the Global Burden of AMR.
• Plastic Bioaccumulation, Health Implications and Enhancing Biotransformation using Herbal Medicine and Nutritional Supplements.
• A Prospective, Randomised Control Trial of Acupuncture for Select Common Conditions within the Emergency Department.
• Determining the effect of a homeopathic medium potency of calcium on the bone density of women as measured by bone ultrasonometry: a pilot study comprising one year.
• Annual Influenza Vaccine Review of Current Attitudes, Effectiveness and Natural Evidence Based Alternatives in the likelihood of Influenza Pandemic.
• Auricular Acupuncture (AA) for Work Related Illness (WRI); Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSD) and Stress, Anxiety and Depression (SAD).